Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, Homecoming, Conviction, and The Journal. We make shows that help create a world more full of human connection and understanding. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team of top editorial talent. We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing shows for listeners, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here. We’re proud to have recently joined the Spotify family with whom we share these values.
Gimlet boasts 13 recording studios, 4 production suites, and 15 audio and video conferencing systems built around a networked AoIP infrastructure with flexible routing between rooms, custom user interfaces, and a regularly expanding feature set. We’re looking for an experienced Studio Technology Manager to own facility-wide support for all technical production systems. The facility was designed from the ground up to support Gimlet’s specific production workflow, and we’re looking for someone who can continue to support, develop, and scale that infrastructure with an eye toward simplification, workflow improvement, and excellence in audio quality. The ideal candidate for this role has experience as a seasoned Technical Director or Audio Systems Engineer with a passion for audio-first production. This person will report to our Engineering Lead, working in concert to design regular maintenance schedules, system update plans, and feature additions, as well as handling day to day on-site and remote support. They will act as point person in relationships with various vendor-support teams with regard to physical network infrastructure, shared-storage systems, building service providers, and systems integrators. They will also manage file distribution across business sites, field recording and remote source capture systems and best practices, and production file organization and archive workflows. You should be well versed in building system documentation, carefully managing facility downtime around complex schedules, coordinating projects with several teams (IT, AV, Facilities, etc), and balancing reliability, flexibility, and redundancy against business requirements and operating budgets.
What You’ll Do
- Build and maintain facility wide systems documentation including inventories, wiring and topology diagrams, and narrative system overviews
- Manage all technical systems holistically – firmware upgrades, hardware replacement, equipment lifecycles, new technology implementation, etc.
- Implement more advanced remote source capture and field reporting systems
- Work to further integrate all systems into a cohesive user experience
- Coordinate with Studio Facilities teams at Spotify to integrate communication across sites, campuses, and international locations
- Own Gimlet’s production file servers and content archives
- Provide day-to-day support across 13 studios, 15 conference rooms, etc.
What You’ll Bring
- A minimum of 6 years experience working in technical facilities support / management
- Specific experience in broadcast, audio recording, or post production facilities
- A passion for quality in systems design and integration
- Excellent troubleshooting, organization, and documentation skills
- Knowledge of current standards and codecs in IP audio transmission
- Dante Level 3, Q-Sys Primary Curriculum certifications
- Intermediate to advanced understanding of audio-over-IP workflows, logical network segmentation, multicast routing, and QoS
- Proven project management skills focused on clear communication
- Ability to work under deadline pressure, autonomously or collaboratively
- Superior oral and written communication skills
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.
This job originally appeared on Gimlet Media's website.Apply