Wondery is one of the largest podcast publishers in the US. Launched in 2016, and known for its immersive podcasts, Wondery became the fastest network to join the Top 10 ranker by Podtrac, propelled by hit shows such as Dr Death, Dirty John, American History Tellers, Business Wars, Hollywood & Crime and Gladiator. Twenty one of Wondery’s shows have reached # 1 on Apple Podcasts, and Wondery is the only publisher to have simultaneously claimed the # 1 and # 2 ‘Top New Podcasts” slots on an annual Podtrac ranker.
Wondery is seeking an exceptional Solution Architect experienced in the technical architecture and development of large scale digital entertainment services. The ideal candidate will be self-driven and have a combination of experience and attitude that will help them thrive in a fast-paced, results-driven environment built around a strong culture, with the values of wonder, care, character, drive and fun at our core.
You will be a key bridge between internal Content, Marketing and Product groups and external development teams to develop, launch and iterate on amazing Wondery digital experiences across devices.
You will own the technology architecture, decision-making, strategy and roadmap for all aspects of Wondery digital experiences, including mobile and web applications. Though not a hands-on development role, you understand backend and frontend application development, podcast audio technology, digital advertising and systems architecture. You will run meetings and work closely with product owners and marketers to translate business and product requirements into technical solutions. The successful candidate makes data-driven decisions and has a demonstrable track record of successfully building and growing large-scale consumer-facing digital media apps on a global basis.
You must be an avid podcast listener.
What You’ll Do:
- Oversee new/ongoing development and maintenance of large-scale mobile and web apps
- Architect scalable, secure, data-driven application frameworks and solutions
- Be a subject matter expert – provide in-depth knowledge of APIs, microservices, serverless architectures, AWS products (e.g. Lambda, Cognito, DynamoDB), podcast and digital media technology, mobile applications development
- Define the company’s approach to content security, particularly with regards to transport
- Collaborate with and direct the software architecture and various development processes for one or more teams of external developers; work closely with product stakeholders to translate business and product requirements into technical requirements for implementation teams
- Work closely with development teams to estimate effort for and implement features and resolve bugs
- Define and improve content workflows in order to optimize the listener experience and ensure efficiency and quality in the publishing process
- Provide technical specifications and documentation
- Evaluate best practices, trends and technologies, partners and vendors
- Identify and develop opportunities for creating new and improve existing tools and processes for greater efficiency, higher quality, client satisfaction, and revenues
- Be the technical product owner in the agile development process, attending ceremonies, writing and refining technical components of user stories and acceptance criteria, conducting user acceptance testing, owning various tooling selections
- Own technology relationships with vendors that provide essential technology for Wondery, including software development, QA, tech ops, DevOps, SRE
- Bachelor’s degree or similar, preferably in Engineering
- Excellent skills in both verbal and written communication required – emphasizing skills in electronic communication
- Engineering expertise is a plus, reasoning and the ability to learn on the fly is essential
- Strong familiarity with AWS tools, including API Gateway, S3, RedShift, Cognito, DynamoDB and App Sync
- Experience with React Native development
- Experience with big data projects
- Outstanding decision-making skills
- Advanced knowledge of media publishing workflows; podcast workflows and tech experience are a plus
- 5+ years experience working on premium video and/or audio apps, with a strong understanding of industry best practices
- Extensive experience launching and building direct-to-consumer digital subscription services on both iOS and Android
- Ability to communicate well in both small and large groups
This job originally appeared on Wondery's website.Apply