Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, Science Vs, The Cut on Tuesdays, Homecoming, and The Nod. We have top editorial, sales, and business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other and the world around them. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team. We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here. We’re proud to have recently joined the Spotify family with whom we share these values.
The Senior Producer serves as one of the main editorial voices on for our new shows. On the development team, a senior producer must be able to take a kernel for the idea and make it real. That means turning brainstorms and ideas into narrative arcs and music choices, pilots and episodes. This role is responsible for coming up with new show ideas, piloting shows on a quick turnaround and delivering on the potential for ideas that Gimlet has greenlit. This is not the right role for someone who wants to work on one kind of show or podcast or format. To be a senior producer on the development team, you need to be able to jump from a deeply reported narrative show, to a seasonal show, to a weekly show, to a short-form or long-form daily show. This person needs to have enthusiasm and creativity for a broad range of talent and formats — including ones we haven’t discovered yet. The person in this role will work closely with the head of new show development and the deputy head of new show development and the rest of the development team. As a senior producer, you will be managing producers and as well as many aspects of show productions such as: managing schedules and deadlines, field reporting, producing key interviews, thinking through story arcs, writing scripts, and working through and organizing tape.
What You’ll Do
- Pitch new show ideas
- Pilot new shows
- Create plans for how a new show or season will look, sound, and be structured
- Set deadlines, clearly communicate those deadlines and keep the team on track and working toward its goals
- Work with and manage both internal and external talent and hosts
- Help to hire and staff new shows and for new show development
- Pre-interview, interview, report, record, and write stories
- Get episodes in shape for editors and deliver episodes in good shape (preliminary structure with a script)
- Manage both the editorial product and the career development of more junior producers
- Select tape, pitch angles on stories, participate in and at times run group edits
What You’ll Bring
- A minimum of 5 years of experience making audio
- Strong ability to structure a compelling and unique audio story, both editorially and technically (ProTools experience required)
- Experience working on a tight production schedule and translating ideas into action
- Preference for working with and leading a collaborative team
- Strong ability to keep open lines of communication on a team
- A knack for delivering clear, conscientious feedback on both stories and performance
- Eagerness to train, develop, and mentor more junior staff members
This Is A Full-Time Role, Benefits-Eligible Role Based In Our Brooklyn, Ny Or Los Angeles, Ca Offices.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.
This job originally appeared on Gimlet Media's website.Apply