Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, Science Vs, Heavyweight and Mogul. At Gimlet, we aim to create a world more full of human connection and understanding through audio storytelling and journalism. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team.We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners and by a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here. We’re proud to have recently joined the Spotify family with whom we share these values.
This year, Gimlet will launch an ambitious new science show co-hosted by Alex Blumberg. We are looking for an experienced journalist to join our team. The right candidate has a background in science reporting and/or audio production, along with a knack for finding compelling and unexpected stories and characters in big, complicated ideas. They also bring curiosity, creativity and humor to their work, and strive to learn everything there is to know about a particular topic before coming up with a take. The day-to-day responsibilities of this role will include producing and reporting stories pitched by you or by other members of the team. These may be solo reporting assignments, or assignments done in collaboration with the show’s hosts or another producer. This show will publish weekly, so the right candidate has experience in and thrives under tight deadlines.
What You’ll Do
- Pitch stories
- Brainstorm new segment and episode ideas
- Work closely with hosts, including pitching ideas for hosts to execute and writing scripts in their voice
- Pre-interview and book guests
- Arrange for studio recordings and tape syncs
- Report stories
- Structure stories into a clear narrative and write fun and compelling scripts
- Cut tape and direct and cut tracking
- Assemble mixes and score episodes in Pro Tools
- Help grow and maintain the show’s social media presence
- Help out with basic show tasks, including posting the episodes to our CMS
- Approach work with creativity, enthusiasm and a desire to grow
What You Bring
- A minimum of 3 years experience as either a science journalist and/or audio producer
- A journalism background
- An ability to listen to raw tape and identify the perfect details, the need-to-know plot points, and the need-to-hear moments that make a story
- Dedication to facts and fact checking plus an extreme attention to detail
- An ability to communicate effectively on a team
- A collaborative approach to work, including an enthusiasm for feedback from team members and and an ability to execute on that feedback
- Self-direction and an eye for details
- Organization in everything from timely bookings and keeping the calendar to fact checking and Pro Tools sessions
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible role based in our Brooklyn, NY offices. ** Union role with the WGA East.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.
This job originally appeared on Gimlet Media's website.Apply