As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience’s daily lives and entertain as much as they inform. Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
New York Magazine Is Seeking An Editorial Director For Audio To Lead Podcasting Across Its Network Of Verticals And The Print Magazine. You’ll Bring New Focus, Fresh Ideas, And Big Ambitions To Our Podcasts.
You’ll examine our current slate of programming, which includes Vulture’s Good One, a forthcoming weekly Cut podcast, and Tabloid, and work with our hosts and editors to adapt those shows for the future. You will also identify what makes a New York magazine show distinctive, and guide exciting, creative ways of translating the sensibility and journalism of the magazine (print and digital, across its verticals) as we develop an ambitious and robust slate.
The ideal candidate is passionate about narrative journalism and ideas, with the expertise required to provide editorial ideas and constructive notes on stories across a range of subject areas. Looking at the current podcasting landscape, what is missing that only New York Magazine (and the Cut, and Vulture, and Intelligencer, and the Strategist, and Grub Street) can provide?
You should bring an entrepreneurial mindset; you’ll start with a very small team, prove creative and audience success, and then pitch new shows and opportunities.
What you’ll do:
- Bring strong editorial, creative, and management leadership to our podcasting efforts, with the goal of building an ambitious and successful slate of programming. Help us become a recognizable name in podcasting, with a clearly distinctive tone.
- Develop new shows using existing New York Media talent, IP, or audience.
- Manage an audio engineer, regularly engage and work with freelancers, and grow the team to the needs of our podcasting business.
- Facilitate regular evaluation and feedback of shows’ creative strengths and growth success.
- Establish a culture of experimentation and lead evolution of show formats over time.
- Collaborate with New York journalists, show hosts, and talent and help them develop their on-air skills.
- Oversee promotions and growth strategies for podcasts, working with New York’s social media managers and Vox Media Podcast Network marketing manager.
- Set goals for audience growth in conjunction with senior leaders.
What you’ll bring:
- Expertise in journalism and a deep understanding of what ideas and tone make something a New York story.
- Experience as the showrunner or editorial lead for a successful podcast or broadcast news program. Ideally, also some experience doing magazine-style journalism, as a writer or editor.
- Background in management, or as the leader of a team.
- A track record of developing content that draws on diverse perspectives/source lists.
- Strong leadership skills, as well as the ability to delegate and prioritize effectively.
- Strong management skills and the ability to help employees grow and thrive in their work.
- A commitment to translating New York’s unique voice to podcasting, and a determination to create podcasts that are different from anything else out there.
This is a full-time position, preferably based in New York.
About Working At Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
This job originally appeared on Vox Media's website.Apply