Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, Crimetown, Homecoming, and The Nod. We have top editorial, sales, and business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other and the world around them. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
Mogul brings listeners the stories behind hip hop’s most iconic moments, told by the people who lived them. It features in-depth reporting and rich, layered sound design. The New Yorker called Mogul “essential listening” and Entertainment Weekly described it as a “fascinating examination of the hip-hop industry and the culture of fame, masculinity, and violence that lie at the genre’s center.” In Season 1, Mogul investigated the life and death of legendary hip hop executive Chris Lighty. Season 2 centered on 2 Live Crew, their fight for freedom of speech, and their complicated legacy. The team is now working to develop future seasons.
“Editor” is sometimes used to refer to a person who cuts tape—that’s not the case at Gimlet. An editor here is the person who helps each story finds its shape, who guides a production team from the initial idea to the final, polished audio piece.
A Gimlet editor is an experienced storyteller, capable of leading teams to craft stories that are engaging, surprising, and emotionally satisfying. They think deeply about narrative structure. They believe in the power of audio to open people up or change their minds, and they know that kind of project takes tremendous effort and constant revision. They are critical of the work but encouraging and supportive of their teams. They don’t just point out the problems, they stick around to fix them.
We’re looking for an editor who has experience in journalism, a strong appreciation of what Mogul does, and an ambitious vision for what the show can do. This is a leadership position, and we’re looking for someone who finds enormous satisfaction in growing and nurturing a team, and in shaping and editing exceptional stories.
Gimlet editors generally work on two or more shows. In this role, we are looking for an editor who will work consistently with the Mogul team, and will also have the potential to edit additional Gimlet shows.
What You’ll Do
- Guide the show toward ambitious storytelling, helping the team refine big ideas and pushing for the best possible finished product
- Run editorial meetings, facilitating conversation between all members of the team
- Take the lead in developing and refining the narrative structure of each episode
- Identify what is working in each story and what needs to be restructured or reimagined
- Write collaboratively with producers and hosts to get scripts from draft to final language
- Work closely with producers to develop pitches for future episodes and seasons
- Coach producers to develop new skills and help them advance in their audio careers
- Be a talent magnet, helping us build our team of talented producers, reporters, and other editors
- Work with other editorial leaders to shape the long-term strategy and vision of Gimlet on everything from talent development to pioneering new storytelling formats
What You’ll Bring
- At least 5+ years of journalism or documentary experience; audio experience is a major plus
- At least 2+ years of experience in an editor role
- A familiarity with, and appreciation for, hip hop
- Comfort and proficiency in structuring and editing narrative pieces
- A proven knack for managing, mentoring, and helping others develop in their careers
- Excellent writing skills
- Exceptional communication skills, across the board
- An ability to jump between projects and contribute meaningful guidance, no matter the context
- A strong vision for what makes exceptional, ambitious stories sing
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.
This job originally appeared on Gimlet Media's website.Apply