About The Podcaster Mission
We’re democratizing audio by making it possible for anyone, anywhere, to get their voice heard. The Podcaster team is:
– Building the biggest podcasting platform in the world. The Anchor platform now powers more podcasts than any other platform, and over 40% of all new podcasts created in the world!
– Giving any podcaster the opportunity to make money from their show
– Loved and adored: see what our users say
Come help us build the future of podcasting!
We are looking for a Director of Engineering to join Spotify’s Podcaster Mission. You will be responsible for managing, and growing, an engineering group focused on building podcaster tools. This position reports to the Head of R&D for the Podcaster Mission and is based in Spotify’s NYC office.
What You’ll Do
- Be the senior technical leader for the Podcaster Mission’s engineering organization
- Manage engineering managers (we currently have 3) and work closely with them to develop a strong and effective engineering culture
- Be empowered to make and be accountable for higher level architectural decisions regarding how features are built, how systems are managed and interact, and what technologies should be used
- Work very closely with the Head of R&D for the Podcaster Mission, as well as the leads of many other teams across the organization including product, design, customer support, trust and safety, marketing, and insights
- Be a point person for many other teams inside of Spotify, both technical and non-technical
- Work with other R&D leads to constantly improve our development process
- Be an advocate for engineering and important technical considerations to the broader organization
- Set and oversee high level technical strategy alongside the Mission and R&D leads to ensure our systems scale as we continue to power more and more of the world’s podcasts
Who You Are
- You love building and shipping great consumer products
- You have several years of experience managing an engineering org comprised of more than one team
- You think strategically and understand how to weigh the pros and cons of different solutions and prioritize them relative to other product and engineering needs
- You are an exceptional communicator who can explain and provide context to non-technical team members about technical issues or considerations
- You care about organizational health and team morale, but you are also execution-minded
- You aren’t scared away by (but rather are excited by!) complicated cloud infrastructures, comprised of many interconnected pieces
- You have experience building and maintaining distributed, high traffic, consumer facing products, and would be comfortable diagnosing and coming up with solutions to scaling challenges
- You feel comfortable pushing back on asks that are not high priority relative to other things
- You can confidently make decisions when at a crossroads about how to proceed with certain projects
- You have a persistent/determined work ethic and a willingness to try anything and everything
- You are interested in podcasts, radio, or audio in general
- You have the ability to work well with cross-functional teams
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.
This job originally appeared on Anchor's website.Apply