Gimlet Media / A Spotify Company
Gimlet Media tells stories that help listeners better understand each other and the world around them. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, Science Vs, and Mogul. We are looking for ambitious, talented, and kind people to join our team. At Gimlet, we share a belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
On his award-winning show Heavyweight, Jonathan Goldstein dives into people’s longest-standing regrets and unanswered questions. Masterfully balancing humor and melancholy, Goldstein pinpoints the moment when things went wrong, and takes his subjects on a quest to make them right. Heavyweight won a Third Coast Skylarking Award in 2017, and was nominated for International Documentary Association Awards in 2018 and 2019. The show has consistently been included on “Best of the Year” lists in publications such as The New Yorker, The Atlantic, TIME, The Washington Post, The Guardian, and The LA Review of Books, among others.
We are looking for an Associate Producer to join the Heavyweight team. We want someone who is passionate about the show and well-acquainted with the work we do. We are looking for a person with a strong work ethic, who is highly organized and self-directed. As a member of the Heavyweight team, you will be expected to handle a number of logistical and organizational tasks, while also contributing to the larger editorial voice of the show. We’re a small team, so there’s a lot of opportunity for growth, and your contributions will make a direct and tangible impact on the stories we tell. The successful candidate will be eager to learn and enthusiastic about joining a close-knit team doing ambitious work.
What You’ll Do
- Plan reporting trips in collaboration with supervising producers
- Produce in-studio interviews with supervising producers
- Book travel and studios for recording sessions
- Find, pre-interview, and book guests
- Conduct research
- Transcribe, organize, and sync tape
- Help cut tape and think through story structure
- Contribute to group edits
- Build assemblies of episodes
- Create episodic promos
- Manage relationships with external help (i.e.: transcribers; researchers; translators; etc.)
What You Bring
- ProTools proficiency
- A minimum of 1-2 years of audio production experience, for radio or podcast
- A passion for the show and fluency with the back-catalog
- Enthusiasm for learning and working with a small, close-knit team
- Good story sense
- An ability to listen to raw tape, and identify the perfect details, the need-to-know plot points, and the moments that make a story emotional
- Sense of humor… about the material, and yourself 😉
- Attention to detail
- Good organizational and time management skills
This is a full-time role based in Brooklyn, NY. ** Union role with the WGA East.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.
This job originally appeared on Gimlet Media's website.Apply